Before now I hadn’t had a chance to look at the new site, but recently spent some time checking it out.
There’s undoubtedly been such a rash of legal startups in the last few years, it’s difficult to keep up, but this site offers something slightly different – a free online case referral manager called Refer with an in-built lawyer directory,
Mr. Cardenas explained his reasons for starting the business:
“Before Refer, there was no universal online tool that attorneys could use to facilitate and manage a referral. Most attorneys instead memorialize their referrals by using either a formal fee agreement, an email, a text message, or a verbal agreement.
This lack of uniformity leads some attorneys to breach the agreement, forget to make timely initial contact with the client, or even lose track of referrals. To avoid these issues, some attorneys decide to waive their referral fees altogether. Others simply forego making any referrals at all.
Refer aims to solve this problem and an increase referral fee income”
Here’s how it works:
- An attorney sends a referral to a prior contact, an email address, or an attorney from a directory of 550,000+ attorneys
- The attorney enters the referral details and their fee terms (or uploads their own referral agreement)
- The receiving attorney gets an email with a link to view the referral, with client contact details hidden
- If the receiving attorney wants the referral, they digitally sign to accept
- Both parties receive a PDF confirmation, and client contact details are revealed
- Either party can now manage the referral, view the confirmation, or leave public feedback
There’s further bells and whistles features as well, but at its heart the Legl Refer product is a modern-day Martindale Hubbell – offering lawyers a way to expand their referral network by finding new attorneys to refer to.